Thursday, February 28, 2008

We Media, part eight

I didn't see a transition happening, so I walked in late to the Networked Economics session.

Someone is talking about "barriers to exit." These companies "can't simply be switched off. They have to morph or be modified." I think that his name is Nic Fulton from Reuters Media.

I missed the introduction, but I don't hear anything really addressing network economies. Rather, the focus is on interaction, pro-am, disruption, etc. While these trends are consequences of network economies, they shouldn't be conflated. Last night, a conference buddy was railing against the rampant jargon flood in this scene. Of course, I was being contrary and laid out the sensible reasons for the problem (the incentive to be a jargon coiner), he really had a point. The one thing I probably will always find so boring about business culture is the shallow, glitzy discourse and the sloppy juggling of sexy new terms at the expense of specificity, rigor, and depth. I experienced it at Microsoft, and I am certainly experiencing it here, at this confab of Web content, application, and services players.