Wednesday, February 21, 2007

when Web 2.0 doesn't (net)work

When software and services move from the desktop to the browser (network as platform), what happens when the network disconnects?

Consider: I am sitting here trying to surf, research, and interact with del.icio.us, on which I have come to rely heavily in a very short time frame. I click to tag a page. I receive:

"del.icio.us
Temporarily Down for Maintenance

We are performing scheduled maintenance. We should be back online shortly."


There is no IT or support desk to call, no fix or hack to look up on Google. I simply have to wait.

Reflection: Well, I'm glad the maintenance was on somebody's schedule, because it wasn't on mine. What happens when essential processes migrate to the network-as-platform?

del.icio.us has come back online, but I am still waiting for an answer to the bigger questions.